Storage, handling, inspection procedure for hoses
Handling during use
Before using the hose first fully unroll it and check that the hose has no turns or kinks. During use bear the following points in mind:
- avoid sharp bends immediately behind the coupling. Make use of saddles or anti-kink coils if this bend cannot be avoided.
- avoid twisting
- avoid pulling over or along sharp objects and scuffing over rough floors
- with a suspended hose always take account of the loads on the hose and couplings as a result of their own weight and the contents
- use protective planks when crossing a roadway
- do not use higher operating pressures than advised. The working pressure is calculated for a constant pressure so not pressure impulses
- use the correct hose for the correct applications!
Intensive use or application in heavy conditions require regular inspections. Place the outstretched hose on a clean, dry surface. Inspect the outside wall of the hose without it being under pressure. When one of the following effects can be observed the hose must be replaced or shortened for safety reasons:
- cuts or cracks in the wall, whereby the inlays are damaged or exposed
- wear on the outside wall so the inlays are visible
- blistering in or the detachment of the outside wall
- shifted hose couplings or fastenings.
Depending on the nature of their application hoses must regularly be pressure tested. A rule of thumb with use for chemicals is that a pressure test must take place at least every sixty days. The hoses are tested at a pressure no greater than 1.5 times the maximum working pressure during use. Testing at the maximum test pressure already takes place at the manufacturer. Frequent testing at a too high test pressure is destructive and can result in the connection between the inlays and the hose being broken.
The pressure test must take place with water with the hose outstretched. Allow the pressure to increase to 1.5 times the normal operating pressure. Then inspect the hose and couplings for tightness. After testing the hose must be carefully cleaned.